Recycle Ann Arbor is contracted by the City of Ann Arbor to collect recyclables weekly from City of Ann Arbor businesses, in a single-stream collection system. The City of Ann Arbor ordinance Chap. 26, 2:5 requires that all Ann Arbor businesses participate in the city’s recycling program. Business recycling is provided at no additional cost, because it is funded through your City of Ann Arbor taxes.
Curbside businesses are under the old extended curbside contract with the MFU locations (with 11 or more units). We service these locations as we have in the past, which could be once, twice, three, four or five times per week which are dependent on past precedence. The City of Ann Arbor also will handle all recycle cart repairs, swaps for size and damage, or new cart deliveries for businesses, by calling 734-994-2807 or emailing [email protected].
For new businesses, please contact 734.662.6288 ext 113. Businesses in the Downtown Development Authority (DDA) of Ann Arbor are serviced by the City of Ann Arbor and should call 734.994.2807 to set-up service.
The City of Ann Arbor’s single-stream recycling system allows a wide variety of materials to be collected and recycled. Single-stream recycling is easy and convenient, which encourages businesses to recycle the most materials possible.
Acceptable materials include:
- Plastic bottles and tubs
- plastic caps acceptable if screwed tight onto bottle
- Glass bottles and jars (any color)
- labels may be left on
- Metal cans and foil
- ball up aluminum foil
- Mixed paper
- Boxboard & cardboard
- please empty and flatten
- Cartons (i.e. broth & milk cartons)
- Visit the Carton Council's website to learn more!
Curbside Business Recycling Guide Overview
- All items must be empty, clean, and dry.
- Everything, including cardboard, must fit loosely inside the cart with the lid closed, and the lid may not be secured shut.
- Empty and flatten boxes.
- For businesses in the City of Ann Arbor that are serviced by Recycle Ann Arbor, we can provide additional extra pickup service, determined by our service schedule. Please call 734-662-6288 or email [email protected] for scheduling such extra pickups.
- Note: some business locations have had a new type of dumpster delivered or old 300 gallon recycle carts. Those locations will be serviced by the City of Ann Arbor. For any questions regarding these location with new recycle dumpster or the old 300-gal recycle carts, please call the City of Ann Arbor Customer Service at 734-994-2807 or email [email protected]