All Divisions of Recycle Ann Arbor will be closed on Monday, May 29th, to observe Memorial Day. Curbside Recycle Carts will be delayed by one day through Saturday.
Curbside Recycling for Single-family Residences
Recycle Ann Arbor is contracted by the City of Ann Arbor to collect recyclables weekly at the curb from City of Ann Arbor residents, in a single-stream collection system.
Single-stream recycling is easy and convenient, which encourages residents to recycle the most materials possible. Single-stream recycling allows all recyclables to be placed into one recycling bin without separating papers from containers.
The City of Ann Arbor’s single-stream recycling system allows a wide variety of materials to be collected and recycled.
Acceptable materials include:
- Plastic bottles and tubs
- plastic caps acceptable if screwed tight onto bottle
- Glass bottles and jars (any color)
- labels may be left on
- Metal cans and foil
- ball up aluminum foil
- Mixed paper
- Boxboard & cardboard
- please empty and flatten
- Cartons (i.e. broth & milk cartons)
- Visit the Carton Council's website to learn more!
Tips for Single-Stream Recycling
- Review our Guide to Better Recycling to avoid the top 12 contaminants we see in the recycling carts.
- Carts must be out before 7 AM for pickup.
- Place cart with metal lift bar facing the street.
- All items must be empty, clean, and dry.
- Everything, including cardboard, must fit loosely inside the cart with the lid closed, and the lid may not be secured shut.
- All additional recycling materials that do not fit inside the cart with the lid shut must be stored elsewhere until the carts are emptied for the following week's service day.
- Collection service is only provided once per week. If you want to recycle abundant materials before the following week, you are welcome to use either the Drop-Off Station or the Recovery Yard.
Recycling cart options
Recyclables are collected in 64-gallon wheeled carts. Recycling carts are also available in 32-gallon and 96-gallon sizes.
A2 Residents Contact the City of Ann Arbor for:
- Picking up new resident carts, or having a cart delivered to a new residence (delivery fee applies);
- Replacing a lost or stolen cart; or
- Increasing or decreasing the size of your current recycling cart.
- More info visit https://www.a2gov.org/departments/trash-recycling/Pages/Recycling.aspx