Curbside Recycling for Single-family Residences
Recycle Ann Arbor is contracted by the City of Ann Arbor to collect recyclables weekly at the curb from City of Ann Arbor residents, in a single-stream collection system.
Single-stream recycling is easy and convenient, which encourages residents to recycle the most materials possible. Single-stream recycling allows all recyclables to be placed into one recycling bin without separating papers from containers.
The City of Ann Arbor’s single-stream recycling system allows a wide variety of materials to be collected and recycled.
- Plastic bottles, tubs, and containers (#1, #2, and #5 only)
- Tightly screw plastic caps onto bottles
- Glass bottles and jars (any color)
- Labels may be left on
- Metal cans and foil
- Ball up aluminum foil
- Mixed paper (newspaper, magazines, junk mail, office paper)
- Boxboard & cardboard
- Please empty and flatten
- Cartons (i.e. broth & milk cartons)
- Look for "Aseptic" on the bottom of container
- Visit the Carton Council's website to learn more!
Tips for Single-Stream Recycling
- Review our Guide to Better Recycling to avoid the top 12 contaminants we see in the recycling carts.
- Carts must be out before 7 am on your weekly service day.
- Place cart with metal lift bar facing the street.
- All items must be empty, clean, and dry.
- Everything, including cardboard, must fit loosely inside the cart with the lid closed, and the lid may not be secured shut.
- All additional recycling materials that do not fit inside the cart with the lid shut must be stored elsewhere until the carts are emptied for the following week's service day.
- Collection service is only provided once per week. If you need to recycle abundant materials before the following week, please visit the Drop-Off Station or the Recovery Yard.
Recycling cart options
Recyclables are collected in 64-gallon wheeled carts. Recycling carts are also available in 32-gallon and 96-gallon sizes.
A2 Residents Contact the City of Ann Arbor for:
- Picking up new resident carts, or having a cart delivered to a new residence (delivery fee applies);
- Replacing a lost or stolen cart; or
- Increasing or decreasing the size of your current recycling cart.
- More info visit City of Ann Arbor Recycling website.